Online Music Production Lessons – Learn how to write, record, and how to use a digital audio workstation.
Did you ever wonder how hit songs make it from the performer to the radio? Does Bruno Mars put an iPhone on a music stand next to his band while they play? Nope! Music producers help take a song idea and turn it into a listenable recording. Music production is one of the most wide-ranging music disciplines there is. Producers need to know music theory, performance techniques, songwriting techniques, and even sound engineering techniques.
Similar to songwriting lessons, music production lessons typically start with basic piano and music theory instruction.
Once the student understands the basic concepts of music theory, they can start putting the pieces together and writing their chord progressions, and eventually, instrumental arrangements and melodies. After students gain the necessary base-level songwriting and music theory knowledge, they are introduced to Logic Pro. Logic Pro is a digital audio workstation that allows musical ideas to come to life in the digital world. In Logic, students can create drum loops, chord patterns, beats, melodies, and more. The possibilities are endless!
As with all private lessons on So i Heard, the student drives the lesson style and approach, so all production students will be given an outlet to learn to produce the type of music they want!
Online Music Production Lessons
Online music lessons are an awesome way to stay engaged during this crisis. Give you and your kids something to do while you’re stuck at home!
How Do Online Music Lessons Work?
Online music lessons are one on one video conferencing sessions between a music teacher and a student. Both the instructor and student will have their own instruments that are viewable by the cameras. Using this method, we can conduct online music lessons that aren’t all that different from in-studio lessons! So i Heard is fortunate enough that technology is already so heavily engrained in our methods, so it is relatively easy to transition to this method of teaching. If needed, our instructors will share their computer screen for things such as apps and recording software that your students are used to using. This is especially handy during music production lessons.
Here’s what you can expect from an online music lesson:
- Consistent weekly meeting time with the same instructor
- Automated monthly billing at one flat rate
- Your teacher will listen to you play and give feedback just like in an in-person lesson
- Both the student and teacher will maintain copies of all music so that they both can follow along together
- When introducing new material, the teacher will demonstrate techniques on their own instrument, positioning the camera so that the student will be able to see what’s going on
- Assignments are done in the exact same way they are done at the studio. Your teacher will write up an assignment sheet at the end of every lesson and email you a copy of the PDF!
- A cure to boredom! Trust us: After a few days stuck at home, music lessons will be a welcome break!
Getting Set Up at Home
Getting set up at home for online lessons is relatively easy as long as you have a computer and an internet connection. Having an iPad or other tablet device is even better! Here are the most important things your student needs to get set up for your online lessons at home:
- Internet access
- A computer, laptop, phone, or tablet device with a built-in camera (Computer is best)
- An external webcam if your device does not have a built-in camera
- Zoom client for video conferencing
- A digital audio workstation such as Logic Pro or Garageband, specifically for music production lessons
Why So i Heard Music?
So i Heard Music is a music lesson company built around the philosophies and methods developed by life-long musician and teacher Sam Morgan, and his long-time friend and fellow musician Sean Killary. Sam’s approach to education is based on the idea that all students learn differently, and all instructors should be allowed to follow the energy and excitement of their students. If a student wants to learn pop music, that’s what they’re going to do! While allowed leeway to teach what the student wants to learn, instructors also work on traditional techniques in a way that keeps kids motivated and engaged. Quite simply, there is no better place for kids or adults to learn music, online, or in-person.
So, what sets So i Heard Music apart?
- Fun, youthful and qualified instructors who have a music degree or equivalent experience
- All instructors pass a background check
- All instructors are employees of So i Heard Music, which allows us to guarantee their quality and expertise
- Students have the freedom to learn and explore music while learning traditional techniques
- High-tech teaching tools
- Real, live front desk staff to answer questions during business hours
- Make-up lessons are included in pricing
If this sounds like fun, fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch to set up a free online trial lesson!