At So i Heard Music, online strings lessons are unlike any other.
They’re also way more interesting than lessons provided in their public school classes. Students are taught traditional techniques with the help of modern technology. Is the lesson a computer lesson? Absolutely not! All students learn how to read music, in addition to proper playing technique and posture. Instructors follow the So i Heard Music Method of instruction, which focuses the educational approach on each student. Our instructors tailor a specific plan to each student so that lessons always are as exciting and as fun as possible.
While the approach is custom to each student, the weekly lessons usually do conform to an underlying structure. Within a typical lesson, students may encounter reading exercises, rhythmic exercises, hand coordination exercises, and maybe even songwriting and music recording assignments! Yes, strings players can write songs, too!
Beginner strings students usually start with basic fingering and pitch exercises and soon move on to playing simplified versions of their favorite pop songs. Pop music keeps things fun while the student continues to work on their technique. Throughout this part of the process, teachers may record certain parts of the lesson, to be used for fun and to provide instant feedback.
Once your student reaches an intermediate level, as determined by their instructor, and if near a physical location, they can apply to play in our Band Program, which also opens up performance and recording opportunities. At this level, students can play shows, write and record their songs, and become a well-rounded musician. It pays to practice!
Online Strings Lessons
Online music lessons are an awesome way to stay engaged during this crisis. Give you and your kids something to do while you’re stuck at home!
How Do Online Music Lessons Work?
Online music lessons are one on one video conferencing sessions between a music teacher and a student. Both the instructor and student will have their own instruments that are viewable by the cameras. Using this method, we can conduct online music lessons that aren’t all that different from in-studio lessons! So i Heard is fortunate enough that technology is already so heavily engrained in our methods, so it is relatively easy to transition to this method of teaching. If needed, our instructors will share their computer screen for things such as apps and recording software that your students are used to using. This is especially handy during music production lessons.
Here’s what you can expect from an online music lesson:
- Consistent weekly meeting time with the same instructor
- Automated monthly billing at one flat rate
- Your teacher will listen to you play and give feedback just like in an in-person lesson
- Both the student and teacher will maintain copies of all music so that they both can follow along together
- When introducing new material, the teacher will demonstrate techniques on their own instrument, positioning the camera so that the student will be able to see what’s going on
- Assignments are done in the exact same way they are done at the studio. Your teacher will write up an assignment sheet at the end of every lesson and email you a copy of the PDF!
- A cure to boredom! Trust us: After a few days stuck at home, music lessons will be a welcome break!
Getting Set Up at Home
Getting set up at home for online lessons is relatively easy as long as you have a computer and an internet connection. Having an iPad or other tablet device is even better! Here are the most important things your student needs to get set up for your online lessons at home:
- Internet access
- A computer, laptop, phone, or tablet device with a built-in camera (Computer is best)
- An external webcam if your device does not have a built-in camera
- Zoom client for video conferencing
Why So i Heard Music?
So i Heard Music is a music lesson company built around the philosophies and methods developed by life-long musician and teacher Sam Morgan, and his long-time friend and fellow musician Sean Killary. Sam’s approach to education is based on the idea that all students learn differently, and all instructors should be allowed to follow the energy and excitement of their students. If a student wants to learn pop music, that’s what they’re going to do! While allowed leeway to teach what the student wants to learn, instructors also work on traditional techniques in a way that keeps kids motivated and engaged. Quite simply, there is no better place for kids or adults to learn music, online, or in-person.
So, what sets So i Heard Music apart?
- Fun, youthful and qualified instructors who have a music degree or equivalent experience
- All instructors pass a background check
- All instructors are employees of So i Heard Music, which allows us to guarantee their quality and expertise
- Students have the freedom to learn and explore music while learning traditional techniques
- High-tech teaching tools
- Real, live front desk staff to answer questions during business hours
- Make-up lessons are included in pricing
If this sounds like fun, fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch to set up a free online trial lesson!